Friday, April 17, 2015

#AtoZ Letter O

I can't believe the A to Z Challenge is more than halfway through. I've been horribly busy, but I've been attempting to visit new bloggers. My theme is songs that were eventually made into movies. However, after my theme decision, it was harder to find said songs and movies, so there's been plenty of cheating on my part. But today is not one of those cheat days.....

Ode to Billy Joe

Released in 1968: Sung by Bobbie Gentry



The Movie: Released In 1976

Plot from Wiki:[edit]
Set in 1953, the film explores the budding relationship between Billy Joe McAllister (Benson) and Bobbie Lee Hartley (O'Connor) (who corresponds with the unnamed narrator of the original song), despite resistance from Hartley's family, who contend she is too young to date. One night at a jamboree, McAllister gets drunk and seems nauseated and confused when entering a makeshift whorehouse behind the gathering.
It turns out that in his inebriated state, he had sex with another man, later revealed to be his sawmill boss, Dewey Barksdale (James Best). After disappearing for days, he returns to bid an enigmatic goodbye to Bobbie Lee. Overcome with guilt, Billy Joe subsequently kills himself by jumping off the bridge spanning the Tallahatchie River. In the film's final scene, Bobbie Lee meets Dewey on the bridge as she is leaving town, and he guiltily confesses to her that he was the man. She tells Barksdale, who is on his way to her house to confess to her father, that the town already suspects that she is carrying Billy Joe's baby and that it would do no good for Barksdale to confess now. Agreeing with the girl's logic, Barksdale offers Bobbie Lee a ride to the bus station, which she courteously accepts.


Did anyone see this movie?


These weeks are whipping by. Hop over to 

Lexa Cain's to join in the sweet hop. Her co-

hosts are L.G. Keltner @ Writing Off The Edge
Katie @ TheCyborgMom

My biggest celebration: My grandson walked 

to me. It's the cutest thing to see a baby's first

shaky and uncertain steps. Then Sam's little 

arms circled my neck and hugged me tight. I 

Love It!!!







30 comments:

  1. I saw the movie; remember it like yesterday. The most haunting song and movie ever. Of course I was much older before I realized what had happened. Billie Joe figures out he is gay. he tells Bobbie Lee, he's sorry but he never really knew it. As he says in the movie: "I liked it." But he also knows he lives in a time and a town that will never accept it. He also feels terrible because he loves Bobbie Lee, and feels he has stolen her time way. Of course they think that if they have sex, they can change him, but they discover he has no physical desire for her. They never do have sex, and ironically her parents insist she must leave town because everyone thinks she's pregnant. She doesn't mind, because she saves Billie Joe's reputation... while giving muddying her own.

    Sorry about the long comment. I hope you see this sometime. Teens at such a tender time in life... Great "o" day for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that movie. I still sing that song sometimes. Bobbi Gentry's soulful, sad voice stays with me even now. Really moving. Baby's first steps make me believe in the wonder of God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great moment with your grandson.
    Know of the song and movie, but never saw it. Sounds sad and twisted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting my blog (A Bench with a View) and your comment :) I did see the movie and remember singing along with the song when it was popular on the radio.

    How sweet with your grandson; always love to watch little ones navigating the world on their newly found legs!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it's wonderful to see a child's first steps. I remember my daughter's first steps. For some reason, I don't remember my son's, though I'm sure I saw them.

    Precious Monsters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand, I had 5 children, don't remember all their first steps.

      Delete
  6. I did see the movie and I love the song. Heard it many times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes. I think I cried every time I heard that song.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely saw that movie. It was quite shocking for its time. Isn't it wonderful that your grandson's walking more and more all the time. And he's smart enough to aim for grandma and the best hugs ever! Have a great weekend, Cathrina! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting theme. Yup, babies are the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of the movie or the song. The end sounds depressing. That is so cute with your grandson! Yay on his first steps! It's always great to celebrate those first's! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww, that's one of the best celebrations I've ever read. How precious!!

    I saw this movie on tv once back when I was a kid but now I realize I truly had no idea what I was watching. What a sad story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't seen that movie...I've never even heard of that song LOL Yay for your grandbaby taking his first steps to you! How wonderful!
    Katie @TheCyborgMom

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never seen the movie all the way through but it sounds like a real downer. Songs like that are very powerful, though. Congrats on your grandson walking to you. How awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad you're having fun with Sam! Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete