Wednesday, August 2, 2023

@TheIWSG #IWSG #WritingCommunity #WritersSupportGroup


Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!Our Twitter is @TheIWSG and hashtag #IWSG 


August 2 question: Have you ever written something that afterwards you felt conflicted about? If so, did you let it stay how it was, take it out, or rewrite it?

Yes. Last month's post. I deleted it minutes before it was supposed to go live. 

Last months post in a nutshell:  Authors, who are well aware of the long hours, and hard work it takes writing, editing, publishing, and marketing, and then post DNF's & bad reviews for Other authors novels--- this bothers me. Even if I hated or disliked a book, I could never, would never post a DNF or a bad review to any author's work. --- 'nough said.

As far as my own writing process, I have rewritten or deleted  scenes I was conflicted about. 











20 comments:

  1. As a writer, I don't post reviews if I really didn't like a book. It could just be that I wasn't in the right mood for the book, and I wouldn't want to do anything to hurt an author being a writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with not hurting another author. But I do post good starred reviews because I know how badly authors appreciate them.

      Delete
  2. I'm with Natalie on this one. I can't be dishonest, but I can't like everything I read. I'm human. Sometimes I don't even like what I write! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like everything either, though, I definitely won't post a bad review.

      Delete
  3. There have been a handful of books I have DNF. When that happens, I don't leave a starred review, but I do say I didn't finish and that the book just wasn't for me and that fact shouldn't deter you from trying the book. I might also add being bummed out the book didn't click with me because if I picked up a book, the blurb obvious perked my interest and I wanted to like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Patricia, but I just can't do that to another author, no matter how badly I might have felt about their book.

      Delete
  4. Yep. I feel the same way! It's like the old saying goes, "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have started keeping a document of deleted scenes as I write. Maybe they will come in handy later!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's just dissing on a comrade and not cool. The author who hands out low reviews is going to find it come back and bite him in the butt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think if you're reviewing a book, you owe it to readers to be honest about your opinion. A review isn't really for the author (although I know it's helpful when they're good), but for readers who want to know if they should invest their time and effort into reading said book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate, as an author I would never post a bad review to another authors work. No matter what! I will leave those honest reviews up to other readers. An author and I exchanged books for a review. Her book was badly written and needed a thorough edit. Instead of posting a bad review, I contacted her and told her the reason why I would not post a review. She was very thankful. If you read reviews, for instance, Harry Potter, which is Awesome, the reviews are all over the place. It's up to the buyer to decide if that genre sounds good. Not all books are peoples cup of tea.

      Delete
  8. I only give books a 4 or 5 stars. I know how hard authors work. If a book doesn't warrant a 4 or 5, I don't post a review. I just figure I'm not that person's target audience.

    ReplyDelete