Wednesday, April 5, 2023

@TheIWSG #IWSG #writingcommunity #writersupportgroup #writerslife


Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!
Our Twitter is @TheIWSG and hashtag #IWSG


Alex's awesome co-hosts are Jemima Pett, Nancy Gideon, and Natalie Aguirre!

April 5 question - Do you remember writing your first book? What were your thoughts about a career path on writing? Where are you now and how is it working out for you? If you're at the start of the journey, what are your goals? 

I definitely remember writing my first book. It was a long and frustrating journey. I didn't know what I was doing. My grammar was atrocious, but I kept plugging away. I never took any creative writing classes. I learned how to write by reading, reading, and reading. I can't recall how many drafts, how many revisions, how many rewrites, and hours I put into that first manuscript. And, I'm still learning something new every single day. 





11 comments:

  1. As long as we keep learning, we keep growing as a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a super lot of mistakes in my first manuscript and spent years revising it. I'm still learning too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the best way to learn how to write well :-) I've tried reading two of your books recently: both completely triggered me, but the writing was good (probably triggered because the writing was good).

    Ronel visiting for IWSG day If The Author’s Life Were a Fairy Tale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ronel, I read your 1 & 2 star reviews for my books. I wonder if you read 13 Reasons Why or Looking for Alaska by the famous John Greene or The Perks of Being a Wallflower? My books, as far as a triggering your senses, doesn't compare with those very famous, and made into movies, young adult books. Just saying...

      Delete
  4. I remember my first stories. Still have them in notebooks and they are awful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My second book went through so many drafts that I went crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "long and frustrating journey" - whooboy do I identify with that. You've certainly shown you can make it as an author, though! I am amazed by all your books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first book was only about 11 years ago so my memory is still pretty fresh for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me too. Learning is best served on a white screen with scribbles. hehehe

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, we all keep learning as long as we keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reading is the best practice for a writer! Aside from, you know, writing.

    ReplyDelete