Wednesday, September 5, 2018

#IWSG


Join Alex J. Cavanaugh and a multitude of writer's in this monthly hop to help support one another!

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Alex's awesome co-hosts are Toi Thomas, T. Powell Coltrin, M.J. Fifield, and Tara Tyler!

September 5 question - What publishing path are you considering/did you take, and why?

After I completed my first manuscript, I attempted to learn about the publishing process. I learned how to write a query letter, and it must've been pretty good because I received a partial request from agent, Jodi Reamer. (She's the agent behind Stephanie Meyers and the Twilight Series) I was psyched. But, my manuscript wasn't top-notch, wasn't ready. And it took many, many revisions and rewrites. The lesson here is: don't rush it. Have a beta reader and/or a critique partner or have a group read your work. 
Afterward, I did receive more requests, and more rejections. I was ready to throw in the towel, until someone mentioned Small Presses and Independent Publishing Houses. Within a week I got 3 offers of representation. I went the small press publishing route.

However, I couldn't quell that spark of acquiring an agent. I'd recently completed a project and decided to again send out queries. 

Let me be clear, if you go this route, grow a thick skin of armor. Be aware of the unsettling depression that can wreck havoc on your brain with each rejection letter, or the new thing agents do--no response is a rejection, which is frustrating. After years of this, I think my skin is made of chainmail, and I don't get depressed anymore. I look forward to improving my project and query letter.

My new manuscript did get the attention of an agent. I signed with her. The edits are completed and it will be going out on submission sometime this month. It just might flop altogether, who knows! But I tried.

Basically, I've ventured down two paths. And, I'm very happy with my independent publisher, she's wonderful and extremely easy to talk to.

In truth, I believe both paths are equally adventurous. My advice is, whichever path you turn onto, be happy with your decision.




What path have you chosen, or which path do you plan on venturing down?





30 comments:

  1. Here's praying your manuscript finds a home. You didn't give up and that's what matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay to getting that agent! Here's to smooth sailing and that it all works out wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed and seconded. You really do have to find what works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is exciting to go on both adventures! Great advice, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best wishes for submission! I've sent out so many query letters over the years. It can definitely be a little rough out there. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The best thing about publishing nowadays is that we have so many choices. Best of luck with your manuscript finding a publisher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! True!!! And that makes a writer's life much easier.

      Delete
  7. To me, and if you read my blog you'll know why, this is a very happy story. And timely too. Thanks for this. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  8. It’s so exciting that you got an agent! It’s confirmation that you’re a great writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the awesome compliment. BUT, I'd say I was an okay writer.

      Delete
  9. This is a great story. I hope greater things are to come your way. You have the right attitude.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woot! It's great to see you strive for what you want and getting places with it. I hope your agent finds your story a home!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Getting a partial request from Jodi Reamer is something. Wow!

    Thanks for sharing your story. I also went the small press route, and I am still trying to get an agent. It's just something I feel is right for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Cathrina...

    Congrats on the agent and all the best with your submissions. I truly hope it sells! You've written so many wonderful books and have an avid reader base. That is the most important thing. Readers who love your work. Isn't that what we all want?

    Glad to see all is going well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Be-lated IWSG Day!
    Thank you so much for stopping by my blog.
    That's so cool you got a partial request from such a famous agent. It's also nice that you've done well with small presses. Thanks for sharing your journey; it's very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, my publisher was a small press too and one that I loved working with. Unfortunately, a family emergency made it necessary for them to close their doors.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm all for taking any road that's open. Good luck with the submission. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think it's awesome that we have so many choices, and love the idea of experimenting with it all. I say experimenting as though rejection and failure won't raise their ugly heads, but chainmail for skin is a good thing! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So true about needing to be happy with your path, no matter what it is. They're all great in different ways.

    That's awesome how you were finally able to make your dream of landing an agent a reality. And oh, that is such exciting news about your manuscript! Hope the submissions have been going well for it!

    ReplyDelete