Wednesday, October 7, 2020

#WritingCommunity @TheIWSG #WriterSupport #WritersLife #Writing

Join Alex J. Cavanaugh and a multitude of writer's in this monthly hop to help support one another!

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all 

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Alex's awesome co-hosts are Jemima Pett, Beth Camp, Beverly Stowe McClure, and Gwen Gardner!

October 7 question - When you think of the term working writer, what does that look like to you? What do you think it is supposed to look like? Do you see yourself as a working writer or aspiring or hobbyist, and if latter two, what does that look 
like?

What a Working Writer looks like to me. A journalist, a reporter, a researcher...etc... A person who gets paid on a regular basis for their work. I can't imagine working as a writer with a deadline. 


This is how my working like a writer is for me. Sitting on the couch overlooking my backyard while I write my IWSG post.


If I truly think about what I have accomplished over the years, as far as writing novels, I astound myself. I consider myself a hobbyist. I don't write for a paycheck or for money because I'd be homeless and starving by now....LOL.

As of late, I haven't been loyal to my writing. And publishing a book in July was a story that had been on the back burner for over a year.  

I was recently contacted by an aspiring writer who was seeking my professional advice. She'd sent her query letter, and a chapter of her very first book. By her writing sample, I felt she could become an avid author. However, I also noted she had lots of work ahead of her. Since I am aware of the long, lonely hours involved in becoming a published author, I hadn't wanted to deter her hopes. Instead, I offered encouragement and, explained how a good editor is essential. We corresponded a few times and I supplied her with a few links, and said to google the internet for publishing advice and so on... 

As I've said many, many times, the art of catching that golden ring is Perseverance! 👍👍





 







31 comments:

  1. Yes, so true about perseverance. Seeing how I've tried to get published, I couldn't support myself on my writing either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my key word for just about anything you want to accomplish.

      Delete
  2. I like your version of working writer better.
    Nice of you to encourage that aspiring writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even as a publisher I can't support myself. It's hard to do, especially right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's sad, and there is so much hard work involved in being a publisher.

      Delete
  4. Perseverance is the key to so very many things in life! It's taken me the better part of a decade to be confident enough to put my words out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly how you feel. With each new book, I still get anxious.

      Delete
  5. You are so right about perseverance. Lots of people have talent, but no follow through. That used to make me frustrated, esp. when the person is a friend. Then, I realized I have no say in what others do with their talent, just what I do with mine. Thanks for the lovely comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That word is always spelled with a capital P. It is one of the most important if you're going to write for publication.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've got the right idea! Keep on keeping on. It's nice to see that you're inspiring young authors! That's great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe we should change "working writer" with "persevering writer" ;-)

    Ronel visiting on IWSG day Revamp Your Backlist

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think working writers are persevering writers, so I'm on track with Ronel here. I think writing for the joy of it does not mean you aren't serious. Your writing is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes indeed, perserverance is the key! Good post. I wish you happy writing in October.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very wise approach. Although I sit at a desk writing my stuff overlooking the garden, you and I seem to have similar approaches. Funny that I don't consider myself a hobbyist but a working writer, though!

    Have a good month
    Jemima

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I write leisurely, and hardly no writing at all lately. But I guess, I am working at it...LOL!!!

      Delete
  12. I actually thrive under a deadline. Without it, I waste way too much time. I'm so easily distracted...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha! I used the word "perseverance" in my blog post this month too. Because that's what it takes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's also what I see as a working writer, but many provided me with good definitions of their own.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perseverance is definitely a key factor in writing and publishing. People hope for luck, but as long as they keep pushing and working while they "wait" for it, they'll find success.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thomas Jefferson has a great quote about this. "I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it." It's one of my favorite quotes...

    ReplyDelete
  17. If I had known how much work was ahead of me back in the beginning...I'd have still done it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. As an elementary teacher, I met many well-known children's authors. Perseverance was the word most of them stated ~ That and a day job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete