Wednesday, August 7, 2019

#IWSG #writingcommunity #writerslife #writer #amwriting #writerssupportgroup


Join Alex J. Cavanaugh and a multitude of writer's in this monthly hop to help support one another!

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all 



August 7 question - Has your writing ever taken you by surprise? For example, a positive and belated response to a submission you'd forgotten about or an ending you never saw coming? 


What takes me by surprise is when I read fabulous reviews. Those glowing reviews from perfect strangers brightens my day and gives me hope when I'm feeling as if my writing just isn't good enough. 



 This is for all writer's who've been querying for an agent. We all know the wait is a nail-biter. And many times, you don't even hear back after submitting. Last week I received an email from an agent I queried in February 2018. She said, "I apologize for the delay in my response." It only took her a year and a half to get back to me. LOL!!










20 comments:

  1. A year and a half is a long time! What was her response?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her words:I enjoyed many of the elements, especially the way you're building a strong world with your vivid imagery. Some additional development could be had within the introductory narrative voice, as it was not as conducive at immersion within the manuscript as I hoped.
      Since then, it had been reworked and is now on submission with another agent.

      Delete
  2. That is a long time to wait for a response. Love your quotes. The first one about being positive is one I really try to follow. It helps me stay positive about life on good and bad days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's difficult to hold onto that positive thinking. We need to be reminded.

      Delete
  3. Yup--a good review gives me enough juice to have my bouncing through the day like Tigger. Happy writing in August!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always surprised by good reviews, too. It's a nice ego boost for someone who is generally insecure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There must be a punchline to "the agent called". And?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I said a surprise review was my best surprise too.

    I read on Rachel Gardner's blog that big publishers are picky because each book needs to make $50,000 to cover the publishing expense. That gave me a whole new (positive) perspective on all of my near-misses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are wonderful surprises, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  8. A year and a half! I guess that would be a surprise because at that point I would have given up on a reply.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good reviews are always a welcome surprise!

    Wow, that's a long time. At least she made it back around to respond to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think that's the agent for you... a year and a half!! Sheesh!

    And yes, good reviews are wonderful surprises. The best kind (after chocolate).

    PS Just letting you know that your blogger profile doesn't have a direct link from it to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynda. Blogger has been giving me tons of problems.

      Delete
  11. These agents 'slay' me....like you'd even care for her response after EIGHTEEN MONTHS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hooray for glowing reviews! Can definitely see how those would brighten your day.

    And wow, a year and a half is such a long wait. Honestly surprised that agent even bothered to respond, after all that time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A year and a half! Wow, that's something. At least they took the time to reply, I guess.

    Glowing reviews are the icing on the publishing cake.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wishing you much luck with your MS. Great quotes. Happy IWSG Day.

    ReplyDelete