Tuesday, July 3, 2018

#IndependenceDay #IWSG



**Wishing everyone a Happy and Safe 4th of July**


What are you doing for Independence Day?






Join Alex J. Cavanaugh and a multitude of writer's in this monthly hop to help support one another!

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!


Alex's awesome co-hosts are Nicki Elson, Juneta Key, Tamara Narayan, and Patricia Lynne!

July 3 question - What are your ultimate writing goals, and how have they changed over time (if at all)? 

In the beginning, I was antsy. Because, I'd seen many indie authors publishing several books a year. And I couldn't write fast enough or good enough for that to happen.

What's changed: I'm a little less neurotic, and not as antsy. I've realized I'm not in a competition, a race to publish as many books as I can. Everyday, or when I find the time to put words to my ms, I want to produce a good story. A story that will entertain readers. 
I try very hard to hone my craft by reading, and reading differing genres. I learn something new each day, and ultimately, I'd like to read my own writing and smile and say to myself ~ that's good!

At the present time: My goal is too settle down and try very hard to write 1k a day. 
And, if at all possible, I'd like to publish at least one book a year. God Willing.



34 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have some great and manageable goals. And it's good not to feel in competition with others or yourself. It adds so much pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. I can't produce a ton of books at a fast rate. I can only write well at my own pace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that--you try to learn something new every day. That's the only way to go through life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I'm sure you'll do it. I'm like you and just want to write a good story. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you - I can't keep up with the writers who publish several books a year. I will be very happy if I can do one. Sounds like you have settled on great goals for you.
    Happy 4th to you and your family, Cathy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 4th of July! Hope you have a good one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen to that last statement. My goals are outrageous and I know the only way they'll happen is if God is willing.
    Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy 4th of July! Best of luck with your goals. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seems to me you have a better chance of publishing one good book per year than several. Wishing you happy writing in July--

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy 4th! We all take different paths, and that's what is wonderful about being a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a great goal. A book a year is a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A book a year sounds reasonable. Im not a fast writer, mostly because I dither too much about whether it’s good enough. I’m sure when I retire I’ll get better though. In theory, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the idea of learning something new every day.
    Since you've already published a few books and are into the swing of things, I'm sure you can manage 1K words a day.
    In my recent 100words100days challenge, I found out that the more you write, the easier the words seem to flow.
    Happy holiday to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved your goal idea, that's where I got it from. Thank you!

      Delete
    2. You're welcome.
      I'm hoping to enter another round of 100words100days. Just trying to find the appropriate time... (is there even an appropriate time? LOL)
      I just jumped into from Jan 01st. So maybe I need to close my eyes and do the same...

      Delete
  14. Yay, glad you were able to calm down and set goals that are right for you. How some writers consistently pump out multiple books a year is a mystery to me. We've all got our own processes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Fourth to you, Cathrina. As far a being antsy... I hear that. It doesn't serve us well, so setting our own reasonable goals is the best way!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL - I think I completely stopped running.

    Not everything in this business is rush-rush-rush.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Writing 1000 words a day sounds totally doable. Not for ME, because I'm slower than a tortoise with arthritis. But you've got this! Good luck reaching your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's definitely not a race. Finding a pace that works for you without worrying about others' progress is the best you can do. Good luck with 1k a day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome that you try to learn something new daily!

    ReplyDelete