Wednesday, April 6, 2016

#IWSG Insecure Writer's Support Group



Join Alex J. Cavanaugh and a multitude of writer's in this monthly hop to help support one another!


Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!


The awesome co-hosts this month are: Megan Morgan, Chris Votey, Viola Fury, Christine Rains, Madeline Mora-Summonte, L.G. Keltner, Rachna Chhabria, and Patricia Lynne! 


I completed my first draft on my ms that had been put on hold for over a year. I tried something totally different this time. After the initial read through to get reacquainted with my characters, I began to write and didn't return to the the beginning and edit like I normally do when I get stumped. I forced myself to move forward and not look back. 
Thinking the beginning of the ms was sound, I sent out the first 3 chapters to betas. I was wrong, of course, and they gave me tons of sound advice. (But remember, every reader has differing opinions. And both betas gave me differing advice. You must create your own writing style) 

Now, as I'm editing and creating a second draft, I'm either duped into thinking --- this ms isn't too bad, or I'm clearly not seeing past my nose. 

This time the editing process seems somewhat easier. I've learned a thing or two about grammar and my over usage of adverbs and adjectives. (I still have a thing for them)

All writer's have a different style of writing and what works for them. I discovered that sometimes I need to mix it up a bit, especially when I'm in a slump.



30 comments:

  1. As long as you are writing you're moving forward Cat. Congrats and definitely do you as you heed advice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to find that my writing isn't as bad as I feared whenever I return for edits, so don't get stuck in thinking you're fooling yourself. Forward is definitely the right direction, and you sound like you're open to learning and improving, which is more important than anything. Good luck with the edits!
    angelinetrevena.co.uk/insecure-writers-support-group-whats-a-beta-reader-worth

    ReplyDelete
  3. If mixing it up helps you write, then do it.
    Always amusing when critique partners have different opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mixing it up works for me too. Good luck and have fun with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on finishing your first draft! I know what you mean about adverbs. I've gotten better about cutting them out but they still give me problems sometimes. Everyone has their own writing style - that's so true. When others tell you different things, trust in your own instincts. Your heart knows where the story should go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From Scarlet to Jiminy Cricket--the message is about the same. Just do it and enjoy the heck out of whatever that is. Yesterday? What's that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's definitely a balance; too many beta readers and you're head starts swimming wondering who is right. Also sometimes people get stuck on things like NO ADVERBS when really, lots of good writing uses adverbs. What they probably mean is to cut things like "she whispered softly" (redundant) "she stepped carefully" which could be shown in a more active way. Adverbs aren't BAD (and often people don't even know all the types of adverbs there are) but often they can be reduced.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're doing a great job Cathrina. Moving forward is good and you're doing well. Finishing the first draft is a big milestone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. First drafts always suck for me. I never let anyone read a story until it's on it's third draft at least. (And I always edit the heck of the beginning first.)

    Crystal Collier

    ReplyDelete
  10. Finishing anything will make you so much better than you were at the start because completing something is such a learning process, every time :) Good luck with your edits

    ReplyDelete
  11. You certainly have to stay true to your vision and your writing style when it comes to editing. However, if it's grammar and copyediting, it's always best to make the change. Beta readers are awesome, whether or not you heed their advice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Keep moving forward. After you finish a draft, distance yourself from your manuscript, then return to it. You will catch all the loopholes. Sometimes, critique partners and Beta readers have different opinions about certain scenes.

    Rachna Chhabria
    Co-host IWSG
    Rachna's Scriptorium

    ReplyDelete
  13. So true, we need to be true to ourselves. And writing is subjective. Some betas will point you one way and another the other. But I always take as much as I can into consideration. That is, if it feels right. Always go with your gut or intuition.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're right!!! I also think it helps to step away from something for a while, then come back to it with fresh eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is fantastic. Hooray! So glad the editing is going smoothly and I have no doubt that you are correct in thinking the ms isn't bad.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done! I agree that changing things up tends to be the best way to get moving again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on being able to do that. I'm forever going back to the beginning and making this change or that. It's probably why I still haven't finished. Once day I'm going to be brave enough to just do it and send it for someone to read, without making the changes. That'd be interesting. Have a great day. Eva

    ReplyDelete